St Bernard’s Catholic Church is a landmark in the local area. Based on Kingsley Road in Toxteth, the gothic style church is one of the few surviving Victorian buildings in the area. Designed by notable architects, Pugin & Pugin in 1901, the building is considered a building of interest due to being the sons of Augustus Pugin, the architect who designed the interior of the Houses of Parliament.
Due to the history of the building, preserving the exterior was important, therefore external alterations were kept to a minimum whilst incorporating as many original features as possible during the conversion. The brick build with sandstone dressings has been carefully retained and restored for residential use.
The transformation of St Bernard’s Catholic Church involved the conversion and refurbishment to create 16 affordable homes by Housing People Building Communities and Onward Homes. The homes benefit from large floor to ceiling heights, retaining the original features such as arch colonnades, stained glass windows and stone features.
Sutcliffe worked in collaboration with the Archdiocese of Liverpool to help complete the scheme, Ainsley Gommon Architects, Hamptons NW Development and quantity surveyor Wilkinson Cowan.